Guestpost: Blodeuedd's perfect HEA - Gladiators and Pirates?

Friday, May 20, 2011

Today we are happy to welcome our next guestblogger: Blodeuedd from Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell will share with us today what her thoughts about a perfect HEA are. Blodeuedd is one of the first bloggers we met when we our blogger days started. She's one of the most committed and chattiest persons we know. Please give her a warm welcome.

Thank you Caro and Susi for having me over. Your new place looks great! I have been asked to guest post about the perfect HEA, could you have asked me about anything harder to write? I do not think so. I have been thinking about this for some time now and I just do not have an answer so I will just wing it and let my thoughts fly away and we will see where they land.

My perfect HEA is obviously where the couple is together and everything is happy and good. I do not need to know that they married a week later and got a baby a year later. I just need to know that they are together, and then my mind takes care of the rest. They live happily ever after, because that is of course what HEA means. I do not want to think that it lasts for five years and then they break up. Noooo! I want a HEA, not happy for a while.

I hate endings with no happy ending. They make me throw books at the wall. Ok so Gladiator is not really a perfect example but you get my meaning, he dies! No HEA for him. I have watched that movie more times that I can remember…but in a way not really, because I have watched the ending once. At the movie theater I was devastated. I loved the movie but I could not handle the ending. I want happy endings. Take Pirates 3, not a good ending, but then you watch the after text and yay…(or however it was, perhaps it was just an article I read about how the producers meant it to be..). Evil HEA hating peeps were they anyway. So there we have it, I throw books at walls, and I do not always watch movies to the end when I watch them again. Bittersweet is not a word in my vocabulary.

But there are times when I break all the rules. I shall not mention the title and spoil it but there was a book where boy met girl, they fell in love, she had a problem that could not be fixed and at the end he watched her die. I should have hated it, but at the same time I realized that if she would have been cured it would have ruined the whole fairytale vibe the book had. It could not be fixed, there could be no HEA, and for once I was fine with it. But trust me; these things do not happen that often. HEA and I go together.

Am I rambling, I think so, but then I said that I would just write whatever came into my mind. And it was so hard to go after that perfect guest post they had about the subject. Talk about daunting!

What more do I have to say. Well the perfect HEAs do not be the ones where the couple rides into the sunset. Sure those are sweet and lovely, but it can just end with them two together and working on a future together. Like I said, I just want to be secure in my fantasy that it will last. And that people live cos I am not a like a friend of mine who likes the tragic endings where they suffer and then someone drowns and the book ends. Talk about depressing.

What have we learnt? Not much, other than I want happiness at the end, because that is all that matters, that they are happy =)

So this is Blodeuedd's take on HEA. Tell us about yours? What makes a HEA perfect in your eyes?

29 comments:

MrsMixx said...

@Blodeuedd Oh you did it!! *g* Oh my don't get me started on the ending of Pirate of the Carribean #3...O_O Grrrr that's NOT HEA for me! Not at all!
And even though I loved Gladiator I can't watch it again because of that ending. Makes me cry!!!
Thank you for coming on SHS hon! *g*

Giada M. said...

"I want happiness at the end, because that is all that matters."

Me too! Even if sometimes a happy ending could spoil the entire story. But, what can I say?! I'm incurably romantic. :P

SusiSunshine said...

I actually like the not so happy happy HEAs so I will shut up in this discussion. =P

But I so agree about Gladiator.

Thanks so much for coming over Blodeuedd!

@Giada Yes I agree about the spoiling.

Blodeuedd said...

Hihi, I love the books, awww haz a sad :( Poor kitty!

And a sexy gladiator is never wrong :D

Thanks for having me over! Must post about this tomorrow. A bit late now, seems everyone read my review while I was away today

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

You can't overrate happiness! I have a tough time with Gladiator because I know what's coming!

MrsMixx said...

@Susi *GASP* what is wrooooooong wth you? LOL 'not so happy hea'? eeeeeek

Wait...do you hear that? that's the sound of our friendship crying!
lol

@Giada *g* me too me too I would do anything to get the HEA in my books muahahahah

@Julia can we just pretend his wife is not really dead? that she was hidden by the CIA's witness protection program and that he's just taking a nap on that arena? yes yes let's do that

Tara Maya said...

Agreed, would it have been so hard to give those movies a happy ending? It's not like they were the posterboys of historical accuracy or anything.

One movie I loved despite the sad ending was Shadowlands, the real story of C.S. Lewis. They sold me on it, and besides, it was what actually happened. It was one of those stories that really convinced you of the old cliche "better to have loved and lost than never loved at all."

But in general, like you, a movie or book has to be damn good, and do it in just the right way, to convince me to accept a tragic ending.

Tara Maya
The Unfinished Song: Initiate

Blodeuedd said...

@Caro
I know! Horrible endings :( Makes me angryyyyyy like the Hulk ;) And Gladiator, sigh *cries a bit*

@Giada
Sometimes it can be too much, I do confess to that. But 99% I want it ;)

@Susi
Oh no..one of those people...*shakes head* Lol, you are not alone.

@Julia
It's just so sad, and after all that he fought for. I wished he could have lived.

@Tara
I agree. Since they were made up anyway they could have given us HEAs.

That is the worst thing with true stories. I can't tell you all the times I have cried when watching movies like that. I keep on hoping, even though I know better

SusiSunshine said...

@Blodeuedd Poor kitty indeed. Should have added MR Depp too LOL

@Julia Yeah not fond of that movie either.

@Caro ((hugsy)) ?

@Tara Agree. Sometimes it's all a story needs but in romance I'm usually for the HEA.

@Blodeuedd *waves to the Hulk* LMAO

Anonymous said...

I love a HEA, especially when the characters have really worked through obstacles and deserve it.

Alisha (MyNeedToRead) said...

A sad ending wrapped in HEA paper...those ones really get my goat. Pirates 3 is indeed a good example...I was thinking "uhhh wait a tic lady, now you'll only see homeboy like, every 7 years. What's the good in that?!?!"

One of the more well done sad/HEAs is the ending to Titanic. Jack dies, Rose dies, but they meet in the afterlife. Le Sigh! :o)

(psst. Fantastic post, Blodeuedd!)

Blodeuedd said...

@Susi
You don't wanna see Hulk angry arhggg.
Nah, I forgave you a second after I read it :)

@Carol
I like that too :=) It makes it just so much better

Blodeuedd said...

@Alisha
How I cried when I watched Titanic. It was horrible! Watched it again and cried then too.

Hm I do wonder where I read about POTC. I think it was an interview with the writers and there they said that after 10 years he came back and lived again. That is what the green smoke or something at the end meant...well sSHOW IT THEN

Lori Brighton said...

I agree, I want a HEA and in fact, I rarely read anything without it. I don't want to spend my life crying over a book or movie in which everyone dies. I want to be happy and so I try to read only books with a HEA.

Anachronist said...

Gladiator was one sad movie not only because it lacked a HEA but also because it lacked integrity and historical background...yeah...HEA is highly appreciated from time to time but I can deal with the lack of it either.

Anachronist said...

BTW hello and welcome from your new follower! I live so close - just one border (non-existent now) away! Nice to meet you (and down with Tokio Hotel, yeah!)

Blodeuedd said...

@Lori
I do try to avoid non HEA books. Oh Time travellers wife, evil book the way it made me sad and I cried so much

@Ana
You made it :D
Oh you ;) I did not care about history. I liked it cos he was a hottie, and I loved the colors and the music..ahem..and the warscenes int he beginning. I love war

Chris said...

They need to be together at the end of the book, with things feeling and looking solid.

Blodeuedd said...

@Chris
Hear hear :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Let me see... I have learned that you demand an HEA unless it is a story you personally write. ;) I'm also like that and even though you often leave me w/o an HEA in your stories... I still find myself liking them.

Blodeuedd said...

@Melissa
Hihi, I did not think about that ;) But I do swear that if I would even write a book it would have a HEA. But short stories, oh they are so fun to write without HEAs

Anonymous said...

I love Gladiator! But I agree, can there be a more heartwrenching scene than when he saw the bodies of his family???? But at least in the end he was reunited with them in the afterlife. That's a form of HEA, isn't it?

vvb32 reads said...

oh me too. the beginning and middle parts can be doom and gloom and horror and sadness (with zombies even) so long as the ending is happy and hopeful.

Blodeuedd said...

Steph
That scene is so very, oh it breaks me every time :( And yes I guess it was sort of a HEA since that was what he wanted

VV
Lol, I agree, doom all you want, just as long as I get my HEA afterwards

SusiSunshine said...

@carol So true, those are really nice.

@Blodeuedd *iz scared* =P

@Alisha They have their appeal, sometimes.

@Lori True too. Enough sad things in real life.

@anachronist *waves to neighbor* Where do you come from?

@Chris I agree. A sucktastic ending can ruin the whole book for me.

@Melissa LOL we just love our little Hulk, HEA or not. ;)

@Stepahnie Yeah, kind of indeed. LOL

@vvb32 So true!

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Great guest post! I've been living under a rock so it's just been a month or so since I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 3, I was so disappointed in the ending.

I love HEA's but one of my favorite movies is Braveheart(but it does have sort of a HEA in all the misery doesn't it?!).

I'm no fan of books that are emotionally draining with no hope whatsoever of a HEA. If I'm going to shed tears ideally I want a promise that the MC's gets their HEA at the end.

Blodeuedd said...

Ladybug
I do fear Braveheart is one of those #noo I can't watch that sad ending again" movies

I agree, if I am gonna dry I need to smile too. I do not wanna close a book and cry

SusiSunshine said...

@ladybug I have to say I like emotionally conflicting books BUT I want them to end on a happy note. That is essential for me. For example Megan Hart has always deep inner conflicts in her novels. Always make me cry at some point but they make me think about life and me and they have kind of a HEA (or better said HFN) at the end. So I love the journey of reading them.

@Blodeuedd I won't ever watch Braveheart again. LOL

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

But Braveheart does have a kind of HEA at the very end(in my opinion).

Post a Comment

Stats

Book Lovers Inc.

All the HEAs

3 1/2 stars (1) 4 1/2 stars (1) 4 stars (1) about happy books (1) Allie Beckstrom (1) Allison Brennan (1) Ann Aguirre (2) Anne Stuart (2) Annemarie Hartnett (3) audiobooks (1) baby (2) bags (2) ballwinder (1) Bethany Kane (1) BLI (3) Blodeuedd (1) Blood and Shadows (1) Bolero (1) Book Addiction (1) Book Lovers Inc (4) books (1) Cardigan (5) Carolyn Jewel (1) charlotte Featherstone (1) Chevry (1) Christina Henry (1) covers (6) cowboys (1) craziness (1) Cynthia Eden (1) Darynda Jones (1) Daybreak (2) Deidre Knight (2) Devon Monk (1) diy (1) DNF (1) Earworm of the Week (4) Emma Holly (1) Erin McCarthy (1) erotica (7) eurovision (1) FO Friday (4) Gena Showalter (1) Guest HEAs (3) guest review (1) guestposting (1) hat (1) historical (1) Ilona Andrews (2) inez kelley (2) J.D. Robb (1) Jaci Burton (3) Jean Brashear (1) Jill Sorenson (1) Joely Sue Burkhart (5) Joey W. Hill (1) Julia Barrett (7) Karen MacInerney (1) Keri Arthur (2) Kevin Hearne (1) Kirsten Kapur (1) knitting (8) Kresley Cole (1) Krista D. Ball (1) Lauren Dane (4) Lea closetreader (1) Leanna Renee Hieber (1) Leslie Parrish (1) Lexi Ryan (2) Linda Howard (1) Linda Jones (1) LIsa Kleypas (1) Lorelei James (1) Lucani Lovers (3) Malabrigo Yarn (1) Marked Series (3) Maya Banks (6) megan hart (5) Middlemarch Mates (1) Moira Rogers (8) monthly HEAs (4) Olivia Cunning (1) originally posted at The Geeky Bookworm (86) Paris (1) play by play (1) review (94) Richelle Mead (1) Riley Jenson (2) Robert E. Crull (1) Robyn Carr (2) Rough Riders (1) S.J. Day (3) Sara Brookes (1) Saskia Walker (1) Shannon McKelden (1) shawls (7) Shelley Munro (1) Sherry Thomas (1) Shiloh Walker (2) Sirantha Jax (2) Southern Arcana (3) Stacia Kane (1) Star Runner (1) steeking (1) Stephanie Julian (4) Stephen West (3) Stilettos INC (2) Susi (3) Sweet Series (3) Sydney Somers (1) Taygete (1) Teal Ceagh (3) The Connaghers (2) The Edge Series (1) The House of Rohan (1) The Travises (1) Tina Donahue (2) Tracey O'Hara (1) tracy cooper-posey (1) Victoria Dahl (4) WIP (5) WIP Wednesday (6)

Popular Posts

  © On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 Modified by SusiSunshine   © Secret HEA Society 2010

Back to TOP